Monday, January 10, 2011

Tasting Notes ... the format ...

Hi there,

I'm about to start tasting all our beers listed in the "Bier Encyclopedie". I just need to bring the first batch of beers home and start doing "the hard work" ;) ... if all goes well and I don't feel sick tomorrow (today was/is horrible ... some kind of nasty flew), I'll go and pick up the first beers and all the glasses that go along with it.

But what exactly will I describe/write about each beer? Again, I consider myself a beginner when it comes to tasting beer. Sure, I can tell if I like a beer or not, but what does that help you? Your taste is probably completely different than mine, and what I like, you might dislike (or vice versa). And the goal after all is to have a collection of tasting notes that helps you and me make better choices when selecting beers.

So what things will I write down? For each beer I will first start to write down some very objective criteria: name, brewery, category, ABV, and a picture. Next come the tasting notes themselves: the aroma/smell, color and density of the foamhead, color and brightness of the beer, first impressions of tastes and the after-taste.

After that I'll try to list some other beers that can be compared to the beer tasted, and where possible maybe add some background information about the beer, it's history or other trivia. And I'll also try to give each beer a rating from 1 to 10.

This is of course an initial set-up, and as my tastings evolve there might be some changes, but at least it's a start.

If you have any suggestions/comments, please feel free to let me know, using the comments below!

Greetingz,
Koen.

No comments:

Post a Comment