Thursday, November 25, 2010

A good alternative for WestVleteren 12??

Hey beergeeks,

I've got a question ...

Anyone who loves beer, knows that the WestVleteren 12 trappist is widely recognized as one of the best beers in the world. The only problem is, it's very hard to get.

To be honest, I never drank one before! And if you know me, that's actually quite a shame. I grew up in the West-Vleteren area, and more so, when I was young I went to the tavern accross the monestary each two weeks with my parents. My father loved to drink a "pater" (that's how we called the trappists back then), but I was still too young, and I only remember the sandwiches with ham, I used to eat over there.

Now I found out some time ago that the St. Bernardus Abbey in Watou, used to have a license to brew the West-Vleteren beer from somewhere in the 30's or 40's. And that license ended in 1992.

So, the brewers of St. Bernardus are the only people who actually know how to brew the West-Vleteren trappists, and have actually done it.

My question now is ... is it true that the St. Bernardus Abt 12 is almost the same beer as the West-Vleteren 12??? I've heard people telling this, but I'd like to hear it from people who actually tasted both beers?

Let me know, I'm curious, cause the St. Bernardus Abt 12 is only a fridge away :)

Greetingz,
Koen.

No comments:

Post a Comment